Willis Wayside Rezoning – Developer Really Likes to Pack Them In!
5/10/2020 8:33 pm –
As of right now, here is the latest in the Venture Realty request to rezone the Willis Wayside property to build 261 new apartments, with a potential of 678 residents, after they demolish Willis Furniture, Willis Warehouse, and the Wayside Shoppes.
The majority of Thalia Residents oppose this attempt to rezone this property to allow these apartments for a variety of reasons that include insufficient parking, potential stormwater pollution, adding 27 elementary students to Thalia Elementary (on top of the 21 students coming from City View II on Bonney Road), traffic, sewage, increased density of people, spot-zoning of property in the wrong location, poor architectural design not similar to the existing neighborhood, the project should be in a Strategic Growth Area (SGA) just to name a few.
- Virginia Beach Planning Commission has moved the goalposts. The hearing was scheduled for June 10, 2020. It has been moved to May 27, 2020. It will be held ELECTRONICALLY.
- You must register to attend: For those citizens who desire to attend this meeting virtually, registration is required. Please visit www.vbgov.com/pc or enter the following URL into your web browser to register: https://vbgov.webex.com/vbgov/
onstage/g.php?MTID= e257f154845de42b9a990af61cd154 4ca.
- You must register to speak: If you desire to speak at the virtual public hearing you must also notify Staff prior to 9:00 am, May 27, 2020, at (757) 385-4621 or email: email@example.com.
If this project is approved and this developer can plunk down 678 people in our front yard, instead of at Town Center or one of the other 7 SGAs where this type of development is encouraged, the next place they will show up is YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD. Do not let them set this precedent. If you are reading this, your help is needed.
What’s More Important Greed or Stopping Pollution?
Draft letter from the Development Services Center:
CALL TO ACTION:
We need folks to contact the Planning Commissioners and voice your displeasure with this attempt to “spot-zone” this parcel. The City created Strategic Growth Areas (SGAs) to foster this type of multi-use development. Thalia is NOT in an SGA.
1) Call or write every Planning Commissioner. The world is run by people who show up. Now is the time to show up. Tell them you oppose this rezoning and potential development. Keep the developers in the SGAs that were created for them.
Beach District No. 6
Lynnhaven District No. 5
Redmond, David S.
Bayside District No. 4
Rose Hall District No. 3
Call him personally-no email
Princess Anne District No. 7
Horsley, Donald H.
Kempsville District No. 2
Inman, Michael A.
Centerville District No.1
2) Attend the Planning Commission meeting about this on May 27, 2020.
For those citizens who desire to attend this meeting virtually, registration is required. Please visit www.vbgov.com/pc or enter the following URL into your web browser to register: https://vbgov.webex.com/vbgov/
3) Sign up to speak. You do not have to be a public speaker. You do not have to have a written script. You do not have to know all the facts and figures. Just give them 15 seconds of your time to say: I oppose this because it is setting a bad precedent or I oppose this because it is going to cost $1.3M to add these extra students or I oppose this because it is not in an SGA (Strategic Growth Area) where it belongs or for whatever reason you oppose it.